Monday, March 05, 2012

6th birthday party

I wasn't going to bother blogging about the party, since I'd posted photos on Facebook, but I was browsing through old blog posts last night and realised what a great record they are. So, better late than never...

Louka's birthday is at an inconvenient time of year for parties. She's just starting to get to know her new classmates, and I have no contact details for the new classmates' parents. When I first mooted the idea of a party to Louka, she chose kids from last year's class. But over the next couple of weeks she kept wanting to add kids from her new class. I printed out invitations for them and relied on Louka to hand them out.

She wanted an aeroplane theme, and helped me choose pictures for the invitation. I found a nice picture of a propeller plane to paint for "pin the propeller on the aeroplane". And Woolworths had a couple of little toy planes to decorate the cake. But Louka also wanted a piñata. I don't think they make aeroplane piñatas. At last I took Louka to Spotlight, where I'd been advised there was a great range of piñatas, and she chose .... a toucan. 


I found parachute party toys, but the rest were pretty generic. I bought paper party bags and stickers for the kids to decorate them (I didn't think the boys would be into this, but they were). And Graham bought a water-slide and set it up in the backyard, along with Louka's old paddling pool from Trishy and Johnny. The slide was the greatest thing about the party - in between pass the parcel, pin the propeller on the aeroplane, musical chairs, paper plane folding, and piñata bashing, there was something fun for all to do. And I couldn't even drag some of them away to see the birthday cake.








Two of the kids were reported afterwards to have called it the best party they'd been to.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home