Friday, July 24, 2009

Oceanworld and other Manly stuff

Today I suggested we take the ferry to Manly and visit Oceanworld, the aquarium there. Louka was enthusiastic and we actually managed to get out almost immediately after Play School finished.


At Circular Quay Louka asked for an ice-cream. I'd been intending to get one at Manly so I said she'd have to choose: now or later. She chose now, so she ate it mostly on the ferry.

At Manly, we walked to the end of the harbour beach and found the Art Gallery as well as Oceanworld. Louka wanted to see the gallery first, so we went there. When we'd looked at all the exhibitions (I was interested to see a big pot by John Robertson, as I have some bowls and things by him) we found some pictures set up for colouring in. That kept us occupied a little longer. Then we went to Oceanworld.

Louka wasn't as interested as I'd expected. She enjoyed putting her hands in the touch pool, but was just as interested in touching rocks and the water filter as the shells, shark eggs, sea urchins and small fish in there. In the tunnel (where I thought she'd love the sharks) she only wanted to run round and round, with a wave to the divers cleaning the windows.

She eventually consented (with just a little coercion) to go and get some lunch. We wandered back to the wharf, along the Corso and all the way to Café Steyne. There we sat in the sunny enclosed outdoor area and pondered the menu. Louka wavered between a burger and a pancake, eventually choosing the burger. But she still wanted me to have pancakes. When they arrived we ate some chips (lovely and hot and crisp) then she wanted one of my banana pancakes. I drizzled on a little maple syrup and she picked it up and ate it in her hands. When I'd finished my other pancakes I let her have the remains of the syrup. And she dipped all the remaining chips in it. Maybe I should give it a try one day...

Then we walked along the beachfront for a bit while Louka checked the bases of the Norfolk Island pine trees for "dinosaur tails" and pine seeds. I think this is what she really likes best at Manly. Though she also enjoyed the $2 ride in the Corso.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home