Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Tuesday stuff

Today the mothers group met at Relish Café at Chatswood Chase, where they have some nice little cakes. I had a tiny passionfruit cupcake, then Paula brought out the little chocolate brownies she'd baked yesterday when stuck at home by the weather. Yum.

I took Louka to the Child Health Centre where she weighed 7.023kg.

We had lunch at the other Relish at Chatswood Chase, which I don't believe has any connection to the café. This one is more of a takeaway or take-home food shop, but they have a bench and four stools for those who want to eat there. They make a delicious apple and almond slice.

Well, the rain had stopped and there was some blue sky, and Louka was quiet in her sling, so I was on a roll. We went to Northside Cyclery to enquire about bike trailers and other means of cycling with Louka. Well, they don't stock trailers there; whether that's because they consider them unsafe, as they said, or whether they say they're unsafe because they don't sell them, I don't know. They do stock kids' bike seats that bolt on the rear rack, and told me they can be used as soon as Louka can sit up, which should be in about three months. I guess I'm OK to wait that long. What I'd really like, though, is something like this, but I've never seen such a thing in Sydney.

I decided, since it was now sunny, to walk home, and because we were on the west side of the railway we went along the newly re-opened portion of the Frank Channon Walk. I hadn't known it even had a name until notices appeared ― last year? ― to say it was to be closed for renovations. It used to have a high wire mesh fence on the railway side, behind which it seeemed generations of litterers had deposited their rubbish, and which made it difficult to clean up. Now the fence has gone, and there is a "nature strip" of various ground-cover plants and a glass barrier to keep the train noise down. Not bad.


I was getting towards the end of the walk when I heard a voice calling gently, but insistently, "Miss, miss" (very flattering to a 44-year-old wife and mother!). I looked around to see a young man, about 10 metres away, but I didn't immediately notice that he was … well, exposing himself. I couldn't immediately think of an appropriate reaction, so I stuck out my tongue at him then turned and walked on. Hmmmmm … just as puerile as his behaviour, I guess, but at least it's not indecent.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home